Elder Z

Elder Z

Friday, October 18, 2013

With My Own Eyes

This week has been pretty awesome!  My new District and Zone is really nice and I've gotten to know tons of new people.  The weather's been getting colder but the sun's been out bright these past couple of days.
        
Last Tuesday we had a special devotional and got to hear from Elder Dallin H. Oaks and his wife.  They gave amazing talks about what set are church apart from others and why our church is true.  It was awesome being able to see an Apostle of Jesus Christ with my own eyes.  I was NOT able to shake his hand afterwards, but it was still a very cool experience.

My visa still hasn't come in but I met all the other Colombian Missionaries on Tuesday, when we were called in to get our blood drawn by the Red Cross.  It was necessary for our Visas.  A driver drove all of us around the city for a long while looking for the right place.  (My old companion, Elder Rallison, was in the van as he is serving in my mission.)  We finally found the place and after we all walked in, our driver drove away.  We then found out we had no appointment... So we called using a cell phone the MTC had given us, and waited for a someone to pick us up.
      
The driver took forever and we nearly missed the last dinner.  Before the devotional that same night, I was able to schedule my blood draw for the next day.  The lady was very nice so I ate the cookies and drank the juice. I think she took a ton of blood though, cause I got lightheaded and had a headache last night.  I asked her if I lost more than would fit in the water-bottle I was holding and she said yes.
        
Elder Edmonds and I were chosen to be missionary hosts on Wednesday (10/16/13) and we helped many incoming missionaries.  I didn't expect to see so many crying moms; I almost cried as I watched the first one drive away.  I was told to be super happy and positive for the new missionaries.
      
Elders host for new Elders and Sisters host for new Sisters, but they didn't have enough Sisters, so some Elders had to host them.  The hosting missionaries meet the new missionaries at the curb and lead them and their luggage to a building.  The new missionary leaves their luggage with their host and goes through the building.  The hosting missionary then carries all the luggage by themselves to a waiting area. 
        
I felt so bad for the Sisters that were hosting, because they had to carry tons and tons of luggage a good distance away.  Sisters pack tons and tons of stuff.  So, these Sisters that were hosting them had to carry more than their weight in luggage!  Most of the time missionaries bring 3 suitcases, and you have to stack the "little" suitcase on one of the big suitcases in order to roll them with two arms.  So some other Elders and I started helping the sisters.
       
Yesterday I walked into the mail room and looked into our districts cubby, which is the size of my fist.  It was locked so I checked through the glass and saw my name upside down on a piece of paper.  (It was about my being temporarily reassigned until my visa came in.)  And just the day before, I had been thinking I was leaving the city soon.
        
I hear that Provo is the highest baptizing mission.  They say my visa should be ready in about 5 weeks more or less.  They'll let me know what happens.
           
My testimony of The Book of Mormon is growing rapidly and I want to read it all the time!  I also have been learning a lot about Resurrection.  I know that because of Christ's resurrection we will all be resurrected some day.  In first Corinthians 15 we read:
                    20. But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the first fruits of them that slept.
                    21. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
                    22. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.


I love this chapter because Paul writes of many important doctrines and ordinances including baptism for the dead.
          In 1st Corinthians, chapter 15, verse 29 it says:
                  29. Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all?  why are they then baptized for the dead?
      
Paul is saying that why would we be baptizing for the dead if there was no resurrection.  But there is resurrection, and there is baptism for the dead.  The Corinthians understood baptism for the dead, but Paul was reconfirming their Faith in the Resurrection.  No other church baptizes for the dead!  

And in verse 40 Paul writes about the Glories of the Kingdoms of Heaven, mentioning specifically the Celestial and Terrestrial glories.
                    40. There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another
          And in verse 41 it mentions that there are 3 glories: 
                    41. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of 
the stars: for one star differeth from  another star in glory.
       
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only church to teach of these three kingdoms.  And in 2nd Corithians, chapter 12, verses 2 and 4, Paul writes more of the third Kingdom.  Very interesting stuff in the Bible!
          
I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the True Church, and that Jesus Christ reestablished his church through his prophet Joseph Smith.

Love,
Elder Zierenberg