Elder Z

Elder Z

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

5th E-mail


Hola from Elder Zierenberg.

It’s my 4th pday (preparation day), but 5th week I think.
I had the worst headache ever last night. I was dehydrated and didn't sleep well the night before.

So my headache grew worse and worse last night. I tried to go to bed a little early, but I woke up at like 1:18 in the morning because my head hurt so intensely. I tossed and turned and cried, half-awake. I got so nauseated that I went to the bathroom to throw up. Then I walked back to my bed and tried to sleep again.  I got delusional because I wanted to go to sleep but I thought people were making me fill out pamphlets and sign papers and stuff.  When I realized that I was lying in my bed and that no one was bothering me, I thought that if I could just fall asleep that the pain would be gone. I can't remember falling asleep but I remember praying a bunch. When I woke up I felt fine. And today has been awesome! 

I still haven’t heard a word about my Visa yet.  I'm probably going to be here till Oct 22.  Pray for my Visa!!!  

I asked the Travel Office about it today.  They said they don't know, but they'll let me know when I get my flight plans.  I could leave as soon as one day after receiving them.  I'm not worried though.  I'm content with whatever happens.

Thanks for the letters, packages, and love.
   
General Conference was amazing, and definitely the best I've ever witnessed!  Some say that it's always better when you're on a mission, but I seriously think that all the talks were the best I've ever heard.  Hearing the modern Prophet and Apostles of the Lord is such a privilege.  My testimony of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ grows everyday.

Everyone always talks about Faith, but many make it sound too confusing. It's actually a very simple concept.  Developing Faith is an easy process.

The first step of Faith is: Having the desire to know for yourself of the TRUTH of something.  You don't know if something is true until you find the truth for yourself, but you need to have the desire to know before you can find it.

Then with that motivation to find the truth for yourself, you are lead to experiment and test the truth of it.  Everyone can gain a personal testimony once they have exercised their faith and tested it out for themselves. The test is a simple one.

The Book of Mormon, like the Bible, is another testament of Jesus Christ.  It is an ancient record of prophets that lived in the Americas. Joseph Smith was lead to find it buried in the ground and was given the power to translate it.  The Book of Mormon contains many important truths.  

If you were to know that the Book of Mormon was true, then you would know that Joseph Smith was a true Prophet of God.  And if you knew that the Book of Mormon was true, and that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God, then you would know that The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was the true church of Christ, fully restored in our modern day. And if you knew this, you would know that Thomas S. Monson is God's prophet, and that this church is lead by Jesus Christ through his servants, the prophets. 

In Amos, chapter 3, verse 7 it says: "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets."
Christ's Church is perfect and he has only one Church. 

In Ephesians, chapter 4, verse 5, it reads: "One Lord, one faith, one baptism"

Jesus Christ established His Church, with Apostles and Prophets, during His earthly ministry. 

In Ephesians, chapter 2, verses 19-21, it says to the saints of Christ's Church:
19) "Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God; 20) And are built upon the foundation of the Apostles and Prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; 21) In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord. 

If you know that this church is true, then you will know that God is our Heavenly Father, and that he loves each and every one of His children. (Romans chapter 8, verse 16)  You will know that God has a plan for his children, and that this life, is a chance for us to be tested and to grow and obtain our own testimonies.

All of this would be known if you knew that the Book of Mormon was true.
So how can you know if the Book of Mormon is true, you ask.

Easy.
In the Book of Mormon a prophet named Moroni, made a promise.
In his writings in Moroni chapter 9, verses 4 and 5, he says:
4) "And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
5) And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."

If we read The Book of Mormon, or if we read from it, we can pray to know if what we read was true.  And if we really want to know with all our hearts, we will receive an answer from God through the Holy Ghost.

Joseph smith grew up in New York during a time when there was a lot of religious excitement going on.  Joseph Smith had a lot of questions when he was 14.  He wanted to know which Church was true.  He went to many churches, but knew that Christ had one true Church.  He didn't know which to join, because each Church claimed to be the One True Church.  This caused Joseph Smith much uneasiness, and he didn't know what to do; not until one day that he was reading in the Bible, James chapter 1, verse 5. Joseph read:
"If any of ye lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."  

In all his Bible reading, Joseph Smith had never read a scripture that had hit him with as much power as this scripture did at this time.  He knew he would get an answer if he prayed and asked God.  So one early spring morning Joseph Smith walked away from his house and into a private grove of trees and prayed to God to know which church he should join.
God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph and told him that he should join none of them.  Although many of the churches had many good people with good intentions, none of them had the fullness of Christ's gospel, nor His Authority.  The Fullness of the Gospel had been taken when Christ and the foundation of church leaders that he had established were killed.  Many people had tried to continue Christ's church, but they didn't have His authority nor his leadership.  People within the church disagreed about doctrines and split into many groups, becoming their own churches.  As time went on, more and more churches disagreed and split, and soon there were hundreds of churches.  During this time, the Fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ was missing from the Earth.  This time is known as the Great Apostasy, and was prophesied in the Bible.

 In the book of Amos, Chapter 8, verses 11 and 12, it says:
"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:
And they shall wonder from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it."
   
And in 2nd Thessalonians, chapter 2 verses 1-3, Paul says:
"Now we beseech you brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ , and by our gathering together unto him,
That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;"
(Also see 2nd Timothy chapter 4, verses 3 and 4)

This "falling away" or The Great Apostasy as we call it, ended when Jesus Christ restored the Fullness of His Gospel through his Prophet Joseph Smith.

The Holy Ghost bears witness to us in our hearts and minds of the truth of things that we pray for sincerely.  And once we receive our answer we must continue to follow the Truth and commit to enduring with the Truth forever.  We can rely on that answer in hard times and doubt it not.
As President Uchtdorf said in General Conference last weekend, "Doubt your doubts before you doubt your Faith."

In Doctrine and Covenants section 6, verse 21-23, it says:
21) "Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God.  I am the same that came unto mine own and mine own received me not.  I am the light which shineth in the darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth not. 
22) Verily, verily, I say unto you, if you desire a further witness, cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might know concerning the truth of these things.  
23) Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?" 
   
If you haven't received a witness for yourself of the truth of these things,
what are you waiting for?

The Lord is waiting for You.

I know that if you ask God and pray with a sincere heart and a true desire to know, and if you do commit yourself to following the Truth, should you receive it, you will receive an answer of its truthfulness and you will feel the confirmation of it in your heart through the power of the Holy Ghost.

Love, Elder Zierenberg